Entries now open
Online entries close | Midnight Friday 28 May 2021
Exhibition dates | 4 September to 19 September 2021
Artist entry fee: $30
How to Enter
Entries are now back open for Sculpture@Shaw, Australia’s prestigious new sculpture prize worth $25,000 presented by Shaw Wines in partnership with Belco Arts. Following the 2020 award’s postponement due to COVID-19, we are excited to invite artists from across Australia to submit proposals online for our 2021 exhibition. Entries close at midnight Friday 28 May 2021.
2021 will be the inaugural year of this exciting biennale sculpture prize set in the rolling paddocks of Shaw Wines. The prize aims to celebrate outdoor public art that exudes a sense of play and imagination. Artists are encouraged to challenge viewers with experiential works that can be small, large scale, or site-specific to the beautiful Shaw Wines and surrounding Murrumbateman countryside. The springtime exhibition of the curated finalists will be a ticketed event and will run from 4 September to 19 September 2021.
Prizes to be awarded
- $15,000 – Sculpture@Shaw Prize
- $5,000 – Cellar Door Prize Sponsored by Shaw and Partners
- $3,000 – Emerging Artist Prize Sponsored by Abode
- $2,000 – People’s Choice Award
- $40,000 – Sculpture@Shaw Prize Finalist Bursaries Sponsored by The Fields Murrumbateman*
*$1000 bursary per finalist for the Sculpture@Shaw outdoor sculpture exhibition finalists only. Cellar Door Prize finalists are not eligible for this bursary.
Please note: Artists are responsible for the installation and delivery of their work for the main Sculpture@Shaw exhibition in the paddock. All installation equiptment required and associated costs are also the responsibility of the artist.
Online entries close | midnight Friday 28 May 2021
Delivery and installation of works | Thursday 26 August – Thursday 2 September 2021
Official opening and award announcements | 6pm Friday 3 September 2021
People’s Choice Award announcement | 2pm Sunday 19 September 2021
Exhibition dates | Saturday 4 September to Sunday 19 September 2021
Conditions of Entry – General
• Artists from throughout Australia are eligible to enter.
• All of the prizes for Sculpture@Shaw are non-acquisitive.
• Artists exhibiting in the Sculpture@Shaw Prize are eligible for the $15,000 prize and the $1000 artist bursary per artwork. An exhibition of larger works suitable for installation in the paddock at Shaw Wines.
• Artists exhibiting in the Cellar Door Prize are eligible for the $5,000 prize. An exhibition for smaller works that can be installed on 380mm wide x 380mm deep x 700mm high plinths that will be positioned outside the Cellar Door, on the surrounding veranda.
• Artists who are in their first five years of practice are eligible for the $3,000 Emerging Artist prize.
• All artists are eligible for the $2,000 People’s Choice Award.
• You may enter up to a maximum of three works. The three works can be in either the Sculpture@Shaw or Cellar Door exhibitions, or in both, but only up to a maximum of three works in total. It is possible that all three works may be selected as finalists in the exhibitions.
• The work must be the original work of the entering artist.
• Work must have been completed in the past 3 years.
• Each entry will be considered an individual work.
• A separate online entry must be completed for each work.
• It is a condition of entry that four (4) high resolution images of each work (300dpi or at least 1MB) are submitted with each entry form.
• There is a $30 non-refundable entry fee (inclusive of GST) per work entered.
• Entries close at midnight Friday 28 May 2021.
• The work must not have been previously exhibited at Shaw Wines.
• The works must not be offensive, discriminatory or otherwise hurtful in nature. Works that are considered inappropriate will not be exhibited at the sole discretion of Shaw Wines and Belco Arts.
• Belco Arts and Shaw Wines reserve the right not to exhibit works.
• Artists are responsible for transporting works to and from Shaw Wines and all associated freight and transport insurance costs.
• Artists are responsible for the installation of their works and must bring all neccesary equiptment and assistance with them to install their work during the designated install period.
• Works can be available for sale.
• All works sold will incur a 25% commission.
• All sales will be managed through Shaw Wines.
• Shaw Wines will ensure your work whilst on exhibition to a maximum of $10,000 per piece, subject to insurer conditions.
Conditions of Entry – Sculpture@Shaw Outdoor Prize
• The installation period for works is between Thrusday 26 August – Thursday 2 September 2021. Finalists will be contacted and will have to arrange a day in advance to install their work. All works must be installed and exhibition ready at Shaw Wines no later than 10am Thursday 2 September 2021. Works received after this time will not be included in the exhibition.
• If selected as a finalist, artists will be required to provide clear instructions detailing all elements of the installation work in advance.
• Artists are allocated one full day to install their work unless otherwise arranged prior with the Site Manager.
• The work must be installation ready when delivered.
• Artists are responsible for the installation of their work. All installation equiptment required is also the responsibility of the artist.
• Artists must ensure the work is installed safely and meets all public safety requirements.
• Artists must ensure the site where work is installed is returned to the same condition as it was prior to installation. The installation of works must not have a lasting impact on the environment.
• The artist must ensure the work uses appropriate materials for outdoor display and presents no risk to public safety. Works deemed unsafe or which do not meet expectations as presented in the submission will not be exhibited.
• All packaging and crates must be removed from the site following the installation of works. There is no capacity for storage of such items.
• Artists proposing site specific or ephemeral work need to contact Shan Crosbie at firstname.lastname@example.org well in advance of the entry deadline to discuss the additional submission requirements for these works.
Conditions of Entry – Cellar Door Prize
• All works must be stable and able to be exhibited on a black 380mm wide x 380mm deep x 700mm high plinths. Artists cannot drill into or attach anything to the plinths in a way that would damage them.
• If works require particular consideration when placed on the plinth, clear installation instructions must be supplied with the works.
• Exhibition plinths will be positioned outside the Cellar Door, on the surrounding veranda. The area has a narrow roof above, but rain and wind will still impact the works. The artist must ensure the work uses appropriate materials for outdoor display and presents no risk to public safety. Works deemed unsafe or which do not meet expectations as presented in the submission will not be exhibited.
• All entries will be reviewed by a selection panel of highly respected and qualified representatives from the digital images provided by the artist.
• The selection panel will shortlist all finalists for exhibition.
• Successful finalists will be notified by 17 June 2021. The selection panel decision is final and no further discussion will be entered into.
• All finalists will be exhibited.
• Sculpture@Shaw outdoor sculpture exhibition finalists will receive $1,000 Finalist Bursary to assist with delivery installation costs.
• Winners for the prizes will be determined from the finalists’ works on exhibition.
• Prize winners will be announced at the official opening from 6pm Friday 3 September 2021.
• The People’s Choice Award winner will be announced at 2pm Sunday 19 September 2021.