Postcards from Gungahlin
Entries close 4pm Tues 30 June 2020
As we find ourselves spending more time at home, Gungahlin Arts invites you take this opportunity for quiet time as a chance to connect with and reflect on the place that you live, and what makes it special to you. Whether you love it or hate it, we want you to capture what it is that makes your suburb unique.
Artists of all ages, backgrounds and abilities – whether professional or hobbyists – who live in Gungahlin and surrounding suburbs are invited to create a postcard inspired by something special or unique about their local suburb. Whether it’s your favourite park, a unique tree, the view from your bedroom window or just a special corner of your backyard, we invite you to share your perspective on what the place you live means to you.
All entries will be presented as an online exhibition, creating a collective portrait of Gungahlin and its surrounds. One artwork from each suburb will be selected to be printed and produced as the official postcard from that suburb by a team of local artists and cultural workers.*
Artworks can be in any medium so long as you can upload it – or take a photo and upload it to our online portal. All artworks need to be presented in landscape format with a 3:2 aspect ratio.
The winning artist from each suburb will receive $300 and 20 copies of their postcard to share with family and friends. In addition, all entries will be eligible for a people’s choice award of $300. Winning artists will also receive the revenue from sales of their postcard through Belco Arts on an ongoing basis, less a 30% commission to Belconnen Arts Centre. If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Gungahlin Programs Officer Michele on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0403 929 739.
We look forward to seeing your entries!
* Please note, while we will do our best to print the postcards as soon as possible after winners have been announced, our ability to do this may be affected by restrictions imposed by COVID-19. In this case, postcards will be printed and distributed as soon as it is possible and safe to do so.
* indicates required field
Conditions of entry
- Artworks can be created any size but must be presented in landscape format with a 3:2 aspect ratio, so it can be presented as a standard postcard size (15cm x 10cm).
- Aspect ratio refers to the relationship between the width and height of an image, a 3:2 aspect ratio means that for every three units of width, there are two units of height. 15 x 10cm, 30 x 20cm, and 24 x 16cm are all examples of a 3:2 aspect ratio.
- Artworks can be created in any medium so long as you can upload it, or take a photo of it an upload it to our online portal.
- Image files must be at least 2mb in size and submitted at 300dpi.
- For tips on taking the best possible photo of your artwork, see our tip sheet here.
- The works must relate to the exhibition theme Postcards from Gungahlin.
- The works must be the original work of the entering artist.
- The works must have been created within the last year.
Who can enter?
- The exhibition is open to all residents of the following suburbs: Amaroo, Bonner, Casey, Crace, Franklin, Forde, Gungahlin, Harrison, Jacka, Mitchell, Moncrieff, Ngunnawal, Nicholls, Palmerston, Taylor and Throsby.
- There are no age restrictions and entries are invited from people with all levels of artistic experience, from hobbyists through to professionals.
- Each artist can enter up to three works. A separate entry form must be completed for each work.
Fees, judging and prizes
- There is no entry fee to be part of the exhibition.
- One winning entry will be selected from each of the 16 suburbs listed above by a panel of local artists and cultural workers.
- Each winning artist will receive $300 and 20 copies of their printed postcard. Printed postcards will also be available for sale through Belco Arts and artists will receive the revenue from these sales on an ongoing basis – less a 30% commission to Belco Arts.
- If no entries are received for a particular suburb, or if no entries from a suburb are deemed suitable by the selection panel, the prize for that suburb will not be issued.
- One winner will be announced for the people’s choice award of $300 cash.
- Voting for the People’s Choice Award will be open from 1 July – 15 July 2020.
Copyright and image reproduction
- Copyright for all entries remains with the artist.
- By entering the exhibition, you give consent to images of your artwork(s) being used, with appropriate credit, for the purposes of display, publicity and in promotional materials by artsACT, Belco Arts and/or its agents, and if used, such materials will not be provided to you prior to publication.
- By entering the exhibition, you also grant Belco Arts the right to reproduce your image as a postcard for sale through Belconnen Arts Centre and the Belco Arts website.
- Only the winning entries from each suburb and the People’s Choice Award will be produced as physical postcards.
- Postcards will be produced as a limited edition of 200 copies. 20 of these copies will be provided to the artist and 20 retained by Belconnen Arts Centre to give away for promotional purposes.
- The remaining 160 copies will be offered for sale at a price of $3 each through Belco Arts and artists will receive any revenue generated from these sales, less a 30% commission to Belco Arts to cover the cost of production and sales administration.
- After 18 months from the date that postcards are first offered for sale, any unsold postcards will be returned to the artist for their personal use. Belco Arts will not provide payment to artists for unsold postcards.
- Belco Arts will fully credit the artist on all image reproductions and will not reproduce the image beyond what has been specified above without the express consent of the artist.
Other conditions of entry
- The works must not be offensive, discriminatory or otherwise hurtful in nature. Works that are considered not appropriate will not be displayed at the sole discretion of Belco Arts.
- Belco Arts reserves the right not to exhibit works.
- Original artworks will not be offered for sale through this exhibition. All enquiries related to the purchase of original works will be forwarded directly to the artist.
- Artwork Images must be received by 4pm on Tuesday 30 June. Any artworks received after this time will not be included in the exhibition.