F A C E Unframed
An open exhibition
3 April – 24 May 2020
Online entries close | 11:59pm Monday 23 March 2020
Works must be received by | 4pm Friday 27 March 2020
Opening night | 6pm Friday 3 April 2020
In 2020, we are celebrating the people who excite, inspire, challenge and provoke us to take action.
Artists are being invited from throughout Australia to respond to the idea of the face. We want you to embrace the concept of the face; the age-old tradition of portraiture, be it with a classic or contemporary approach; how we look at ourselves; how we look at each other, or another’s gaze; our expression; our mask; or a window into who we are. Embrace your imagination with a sense of play, boldness, experimentation, thoughtfulness or contemplation.
We welcome contributions from all ages, viewpoints and levels of experience. Artists working at any stage of their creative practice, be it as a professional or hobbyist, are welcome to submit work exploring this theme at A3 (29.7cm x 42 cm) on paper and unframed. This includes drawing, painting, printmaking, photography and mixed media, but works MUST be on paper.
All works will be eligible for consideration in the $500 People’s Choice Award.
Conditions of entry
- Online entries close 11:59pm Monday 23 March 2020.
- All works must be received at Belconnen Arts Centre no later than 4pm Friday 27 March 2020. Works may be hand-delivered or couriered to Belconnen Arts Centre during business hours (10am-4pm Tues-Sun), or sent by post, but must be received by 4pm Friday 27 March 2020. Works received after this time will not be included in the exhibition.
- Artists from throughout Australia may enter works. There is no age limit for entrants.
- You may enter up to a maximum of three works; for multiple entries, each entry will be considered as an individual work, not a series.
- There is a $20 non-refundable entry fee per work entered.
- The works must be the original work of the entering artist, and they must have been created within the last year.
- The works must relate to the theme of the face.
- The works must be unframed on paper and be able to be pinned to the wall for display (2D only).
- Works must be A3 (29.7cm x 42cm) in scale. They cannot be smaller or larger than A3; works will be ineligible and will not be exhibited if they are not A3.
- Works can be landscape or portrait in orientation.
- Works will need to be exhibited for the full duration of the exhibition.
- The works must not be offensive, discriminatory or otherwise hurtful in nature. Works that are considered inappropriate will not be displayed at the sole discretion of Belconnen Arts Centre. Belconnen Arts Centre reserves the right not to exhibit works.
- The title of the artwork and the name of the artist must be written or printed on the back of the work.
- Artists are responsible for the transport of works to and from Belconnen Arts Centre, and are liable for any freight or courier fees. All works that need to be returned to the artist must include return address details.
- All works will be eligible for selection in the $500 People’s Choice Award, which will be announced at the conclusion of the exhibition.