Sculpture@Shaw: Entries now open
Online entries close | Midnight Friday 29 May 2020
Delivery and installation of works | 1 August-3 September 2020
Official opening and award announcements| 2pm Sunday 20 September 2020
Entries are now open for Sculpture@Shaw, Australia’s prestigious new sculpture prize worth $25,000 presented by Shaw Wines in partnership with Belco Arts. Artists from across Australia are invited to submit proposals online. Entries close at midnight 29 May 2020.
2020 is the inaugural year of this exciting biennale sculpture prize set in the rolling paddocks of Shaw Wines.
The prize aims to celebrate outdoor public art that exudes a sense of play and imagination. Artists are encouraged to challenge viewers with experiential works that can be small, large scale, or site-specific to the beautiful Shaw Wines and surrounding Murrumbateman countryside. The springtime exhibition of the curated finalists will be a ticketed event and will run from 5 September to 20 September 2020.
Prizes to be awarded
- $15,000 – Sculpture @ Shaw Prize
- $5,000 – Cellar Door Prize
- $3,000 – Emerging Artist Prize
- $2,000 – People’s Choice Award
- $1,000 – Sculpture@Shaw Prize Finalist Fee
Artist entry fee: $30
Conditions of Entry – General
• Artists from throughout Australia are eligible to enter.
• Artists exhibiting in the Sculpture @ Shaw Prize are eligible for the $15,000 prize .
• Artists exhibiting in the Cellar Door Prize are eligible for the $5,000 prize.
• Artists who are in their first five years of practice are eligible for the $3,000 Emerging Artist prize.
• All artists are eligible for the $2,000 People’s Choice Award.
• You may enter up to a maximum of three works. The three works can be in either the Sculpture @ Shaw or Cellar Door exhibitions, or in both, but only up to a maximum of three works in total.
• The work must be the original work of the entering artist.
• Each entry will be considered an individual work.
• A separate online entry must be completed for each work.
• It is a condition of entry that four (4) high resolution images of each work (300dpi or at least 1MB) are sent to Belco Arts Artistic Director, Monika McInerney, at email@example.com in addition to the online entry form.
• There is a $30 non-refundable entry fee (inclusive of GST) per work entered.
• Entries close at midnight Friday 29 May 2020.
• The work must not have been previously exhibited at Shaw Wines.
• The works must not be offensive, discriminatory or otherwise hurtful in nature. Works that are considered inappropriate will not be exhibited at the sole discretion of Shaw Wines and Belco Arts.
• Belco Arts and Shaw Wines reserve the right not to exhibit works.
• Artists are responsible for transporting works to and from Shaw Wines and all associated freight and transport insurance costs.
• Shaw Wines will ensure your work whilst on exhibition to a maximum of $10,000 per piece, subject to insurer conditions.
• Works can be available for sale.
• All works sold will incur a 25% commission.
• All sales will be managed through Shaw Wines.
Conditions of Entry – Sculpture@Shaw Prize
• The installation period for works is between 1 August-1 September 2020. All works must be installed and exhibition ready at Shaw Wines no later than 10am Tuesday 1 September 2020. Works received after this time will not be included in the exhibition.
• If selected as a finalist, artists will be required to provide clear instructions detailing all elements of the installation work in advance.
• Artists are allocated one full day to install their work unless otherwise arranged prior with the Site Manager.
• The work must be installation ready when delivered.
• Artists are responsible for the installation of their work. Some installation equipment will be available for the artist’s use.
• Artists must ensure the work is installed safely and meets all public safety requirements.
• Artists must ensure the site where work is installed is returned to the same condition as it was prior to installation. The installation of works must not have a lasting impact on the environment.
• The artist must ensure the work uses appropriate materials for outdoor display and presents no risk to public safety. Works deemed unsafe or which do not meet expectations as presented in the submission will not be exhibited.
• All packaging and crates must be removed from the site following the installation of works. There is no capacity for storage of such items.
Conditions of Entry – Cellar Door Prize
• All sculptures must be received at Shaw Wines no later than Sunday 30 August 2020.
• All works must be stable and able to be exhibited on a black 60 x 60 cm plinth.
• If works require particular consideration when placed on the plinth, clear installation instructions must be supplied with the works.
• Exhibition plinths will be positioned outside the Cellar Door, on the surrounding veranda. The artist must ensure the work uses appropriate materials for outdoor display and presents no risk to public safety. Works deemed unsafe or which do not meet expectations as presented in the submission will not be exhibited.
• All entries will be reviewed by a selection panel of highly respected and qualified representatives from the digital images provided by the artist.
• The selection panel will shortlist all finalists for exhibition.
• Successful finalists will be notified by 17 June 2020. The selection panel decision is final and no further discussion will be entered into.
• All finalists will be exhibited and receive a $1,000 Finalist Fee. Winners for the prizes will be determined from the finalists’ works on exhibition.
• Prize winners will be announced at the official opening from 6pm Friday 4 September 2020.
• The People’s Choice Award winner will be announced at 2pm Sunday 20 September 2020.