Dance for Wellbeing
Ricochet: Dance for All
Offbeat: Dance for People with Parkinson’s
Vivacity: Dance for People with Dementia
We anticipate that classes will begin the week of 3 Feb – please watch the website for confirmed details coming soon.
An initiative of Belconnen Arts Centre, the Dance for Wellbeing program is enabling us to provide regular dance classes for ACT communities with Parkinson’s disease, Dementia, Multiple Sclerosis and other conditions.
There is a growing body of medical evidence strongly validating the importance of exercise in the maintenance of our wellbeing – physically, cognitively and socially. Dance ticks all those boxes in one fun package, and with a strong underpinning philosophy of accessibility and arts for all, Belconnen Arts Centre is pioneering these programs in the ACT.
People with health challenges, plus family, carers and friends are very welcome to participate in the weekly classes, led by a team of inspiring and experienced independent dance tutors.
Seeking expressions of interest
We are seeking professional dance tutors who are interested in devising and delivering classes as part of our highly respected Dance for Wellbeing program in 2020. The program is focussed on working through dance towards delivering meaningful wellbeing outcomes (physical, cognitive and social) for participants.
We are seeking tutors interested in devising and delivering programs over 2 x 10 week blocks during ACT Terms 1 and 2, for the following classes:
- Tuesdays 1:15-2:30pm at Belco Arts, for people living with Parkinson’s
- Wednesdays 2-3pm at Belco Arts, for people living with Dementia
- Fridays 12-1pm at Belco Arts, for people living with a range of physical/cognitive conditions
- Wednesdays 11.15 – 12.30 at Tuggeranong Arts Centre, for people living with Parkinson’s
All EOI submissions are due by 10am Friday 24 January 2020.
All EOIs will be advised of the outcome in the week of 28 January with a view to commencing in the week of 3 February 2020. Final selection is at the discretion of Belconnen Arts Centre.
Please note, all contractors will be covered by Belconnen Arts Centre’s Public Liability Insurance for the delivery of these programs, during the times listed above.
Contractors earning over $450 per month will receive superannuation, on provision of their fund details.
- All programs must be delivered in line with sound wellbeing principles, providing quality dance programs through which participants experience positive physical, cognitive and social outcomes
- The program must be devised, led and delivered by an experienced, professional dance tutor/tutors.
- The program must be engaging, accessible and imaginative.
- The program must use safe dance practice and participants must be kept safe.
- Programs can include assistant tutors, who may be a recent dance graduate or artist keen to develop their expertise in the field.
Submit your expression of interest below:
Due by 10am Friday 24 January 2020
Please note, all dance tutors must have a current Working with Vulnerable People registration.
Contact Wellbeing Programs Officer Philip Piggin via email or on (02) 6173 3300.
The Dance for Wellbeing program is an initiative of Belconnen Arts Centre, supported by Parkinson’s ACT. Thanks also to Musica Viva Australia, Canberra Theatre Centre, Lorna Sim Photography, Ausdance ACT and the National Health Co-op.